Raleigh Court, located in southwest Roanoke City was considered to be the first suburban development. It was, initially, a farming area and part of the Scotch-Irish migration into the area until development began in 1906 and was annexed to Roanoke in 1919. It takes its name from the Raleigh Court Corporation which bought and sold much of the land in the area.
Development took off after land developers subdivided lots and put in streets between 1900 and 1910. It expanded rapidly, having streetcar service in 1915, and the Memorial Bridge, formerly known as Woodrum Bridge in the 1920’s. The area continued to develop, in spite of the end of streetcar service in 1948.
There are many architectural styles ranging from stately mansions, traditional homes, Tudor Revival, Italian Renaissance, bungalows and ranches. There are homes for every taste and preference in Raleigh Court.
Grandin Village with its many shops and businesses adds to the community flavor of the area. The Grandin Theater was built in 1932 for $150,000 and remains a star attraction in the Roanoke Valley.
The Greater Raleigh Court Civic League was formed in 1981 to ensure the quality of life that so many enjoy. In 1992, Raleigh Court was named Neighborhood of the Year by Neighborhoods USA.